Erneuerung der drittheiligen Weingarthen zu Nieder Wöllstadt, angangen Anno 1609. 11./1. Septembris.
Small 4to. German manuscript on paper. (20) pp. Sewn. Original marbled wrappers with handwritten title-label to front cover.
An accurate register of vineyard leaseholders in Nieder-Wöllstadt (in Hesse's Wetterau region, north of Frankfurt), providing significant name material. Set up in 1609 on behalf of the Teutonic Order's commandery (Deutschordenskommende) of Frankfurt-Sachsenhausen, who owned the demesnes since the early 13th century, but still in use as late as 1743, the manuscript states the vassals by first and last name, often listing married couples, as well as the exact extent and location of their vineyards. Women lieges appear quite frequently, either as wives and co-owners, or as widows and in that case sole tenants of the vineyards. The final 5 pages discuss some abuses noted in the past, including unauthorized divisions of vineyards, the planting of nut trees and the cultivation of cabbage and beets, as well as failure to notify the Order in the event of a tenant's death, committing leaseholders to abandon such practices from now on.
Two copies were prepared, one kept at the Teutonic Order's house, the other by the administrator, Dieterich Messerschmied, and the two witnesses, the Schultheiss Conrad Kloppel and the administrator of the Teutonic Order's house, Johann Wirssnitz. The present copy appears to be the latter one, while that prepared for the Order was sealed, as announced in the closing paragraph. As a few marginal annotations suggest, the register was revised in 1743. When the Teutonic Order in Frankfurt was dissolved by Napoleon in 1809, their demesnes were transferred to Grand Duke Ludwig of Hesse.
Wrappers somewhat worn, partly detached. Several pages with flaws to the lower right-hand corner, not touching text; slight worming near the gutter.
A rich source for social and economic history, as well as for family historians.