[Al-Kutub al-muqaddasa wa-hiya kutub al-`ahd al-`atiq wal-`ahd al-gadid]. The Holy Bible, Containing the Old and New Testaments, in the Arabic Language.
Large 4to (ca. 220 x 272 mm). (4), (306), (98) ff. Original blindstamped full calf over heavy boards with rubbed remains of gilt border.
First edition. Arabic text (without vowel points) throughout, save for the English title-page. "This edition, produced under the patronage of the Bishop of Durham (Shute Barrington), was at first undertaken by Joseph Dacre Carlyle (1759-1806), Cambridge Professor of Arabic in 1795, and vicar of Newcastle in 1801. On Carlyle's death Henry Ford, Lord Almoner Reader in Arabic at Oxford, took up the work, and saw the book through the press in 1811. The text is based, apparently, on the London Polyglot. The Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts contributed £250 for 1000 copies to be distributed in Africa and Asia. The British and Foreign Bible Society also gave £250, and in addition purchased, or received for distribution, over 1000 copies" (Darlow/M.).
Binding rubbed, front hinge professionally repaired. Undecorated spine shows traces of a removed library label. Old ink shelfmarks and stamp of Grüssau Abbey at Bad Wimpfen's St Peter's Church on verso of title-page. Handwritten ownership of "Eug. Breitling, parochus in Hamburg" (dated 1909) and note "Left by the wish of the Rev. A. Lehmann" at the end.
Darlow/Moule II, 1663. OCLC 165689213.